A pig, a lizard, and a magical gun walk into a bar...


We've all seen the commercials... The flying pig, the dancing lizard, and Flo with her magical gun that allows you to name your price for insurance. But can these marketing products really claim as much savings in your budget as they have space in your memory? Maybe. Let's break it down and see...

In a perfect world, all insurance companies would offer the exact same coverage for the exact same super cheap rate to everyone. But we don't live in a perfect world. Accidents happen. Some people drive faster than the posted limit. Others need to attend a few sessions of road-rageaholics. So the only way to get the best rate is to shop around a bit.


If you're reading this, you probably own a car. With vehicle ownership you realize (or should) you must maintain the vehicle (i.e. oil changes, tires, fluid checks, gas, etc.) to keep it running properly. Let's face it, you don't get very far without gas; I can tell you from experience. So why is it completely implausible to think your budget will run efficiently without the same care you provide your vehicle.

When I started driving, my parent's added me to their policy. I didn't have to shop around. I didn't even know what we had or what is cost (and frankly, didn't care as long as I could jump behind the wheel). I just knew I had to keep a piece of paper in the glove box. 

When I got married, I simply transferred over to my husband's policy. After many years of being with the same company, with no tickets or accidents on our driving records, we called to add my son on as a driver. That's when the shock set in... 

Since he was turning 16 years old, we knew we would be looking at an increase, we just didn't realize it was going to almost double the monthly premium. That's when I first hit the keyboard and began shopping around.

Progressive was by far the best deal around for us. As I stated, I expected an increase in the premium, so I was really surprised to discover they were offering a decrease from what I had been paying. Yep, you read that right: a decrease! By $45 per month! In addition, by paying the premium six months in advance, we received an additional $31 monthly discount. But I haven't stopped yet... By placing the Snapshot device in the vehicles, I have received another monthly discount of $20. The end savings result: $96 per month, or $1152 per year.

So, to answer the question if shopping around can really save you some money... Yes. Well, in my case anyway.  

And while I don't own a magical gun to zap away your debt, by using that extra money to pay it down, or place into an emergency fund, or even fund a retirement account, it definitely has you flying in the right path towards financial freedom. So there is that little offer I can make to you...

Follow all updates by signing up on the "Follow by Email" area on the left...

Want to see more ideas about saving money? Check out my other posts on The Money Diet, and follow me on Facebook

Disclaimer: I am not an insurance person. I do not work for an insurance person. Don't take this as professional insurance advice. It's personal advice. Don't sue me!

"Image courtesy of Stuart Miles, published on 05 March 2013 Stock Image - image ID: 100144070   FreeDigitalPhotos.net".

No comments:

Post a Comment